Christians are jaded and detached. Singing hymns, listening to preaching, reading the bible and all the trappings of religious obligation have lost their splendor. The modern believer meanders through the religious landscape hunting for the perfect church that will endow them with a spiritual insight they have hitherto failed to find.
Why are so many so dissatisfied? Maybe its because they perceive the issue as an external difficult, blaming the church or pastor or hypocritical friend, rather than an internal one. Providing accurate information is not enough to engage the individual in vigorous Christian living. According to Hebrews 4:2 the writer says plainly, “but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.” Dynamic living is more than merely collecting information; it is conjoining that knowledge with belief or a confidence that God ‘s word will change life.
If you want your walk with God to be transformational rather than informational ask yourself these six questions:
- When I read the Bible am I looking for information or transformation? James 1:22-255
- Is there something in my life that God is dealing with, but I am ignoring? Ezekiel 14:1-5
- Is there someone I need to apologize to? Eph. 4:25-27
- Is there anyone I need to forgive? Ephesians 4:32
- Is there sin I need to confess? James 5:16
- Am I using my abilities for God or just doing my own thing? I Peter 4:10